Shipping in Melbourne Harbour
Shipping and transportation is crucial when living rather isolated on an island like Australia. Luckily, there are many harbours in Australia and the one in Melbourne proves to be the largest.
The rapid movement of freight is very critical for any domestic or international business. If you are a business person, you will probably need a reliable logistic solution to ensure that your freight is picked and put in the warehouse in time. Several shipping and transportation companies serve in the Melbourne harbour, the largest port in Australia. These companies offer tailored logistic and transport solutions to ensure that cargo is delivered and stored at an affordable price.
Selecting a company you can rely on to deliver your goods can be a challenge, especially if you have several of them at your disposal. For you to make a safe choice, there are several things you need to put into consideration if you are looking for reliability and efficiency in freight services. Here are some of the features to look out for in a shipping and transportation company:
- Flexibility: You will agree with me that you need a company that can fit perfectly in your schedule as a businessperson. A company that you can depend on just in case there are immediate actions that need to be taken as far as your cargo’s transportation and delivery is concerned. That is why you need to consider flexibility when choosing a company to ship and transport your goods.
- 24/7 Service delivery: For any business to prosper, every minute counts, and that is why you don’t want to deal with a company that limits its services to specific days or time. What you need is a company that operates around the clock seven days a week. This way, you can communicate with them anytime to ensure that there is smooth delivery of goods.
Types Of Services That Freight Companies Offer
There are several transport and logistics services that freight companies offer in Melbourne harbour. Some of these services include the following:
● Transportation handling and storage of containers
● Break steel/bulk
● Transportation of oversized freight
● Side-loader transportation
● Mass management
● Importation of vehicle and vehicle parts
● Wharf pick up and dropping off of export and import containers
● Storage and warehousing
● Wharf cartage services
Refueling of ships
The refueling of ships, also called ship to ship bunkering is where a large tanker ship pulls next to another ship and loads a million or more gallons of marine oil.
The advantage of ship to ship bunkering include:
- No downtime. Your crew can remain on full alertness while the vessel is being fueled.
- No extensive time is spent going to harbor. The tanker comes to you.
On the other hand, if you are refuelling at ports:
- You have the opportunity to collect vital tools or supplies
- Your crew may have an opportunity for a little R and R while your ship is being fueled.
Mind you, a certain percentage of the crew must be active and involved in the bunkering process. Normally, one tank at a time must be fueled, and the crew must open and close the valves to the tanks on the ship.
In addition, many checks such as temperature checks, as well as continuous sound checks in the tanks must be carried out by the crew.
The reason that temperature and volume checks are critical is that with up to a million or more gallons of fuel being downloaded, the shipping company does not want to be shortchanged by the bunkering company as fuel is very expensive.
Generally, many companies or businesses, both domestic and international in Australia, ship their cargo through the Melbourne harbour and do bunkering in port as well as outside the harbour. The port receives many and large consignments, making it one of the busiest ports in Australia. It is also served by the best shipping companies you can rely on for your transportation needs.